Community Development Corporation
Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in Council has approved the establishment of a new TH Community Development Corporation, per direction from the TH General Assembly in 2018.
We are currently determining a process to select board members, with a minimum of 50% of board members comprised of TH citizens. All board members must have either education or experience in business and/or community development.
Some quick facts about the new community development corporation:
- The Community Development Corporation is based in the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory, is governed by a locally based board, and has its base of operations in Dawson City, Yukon.
- The Community Development Corporation’s operations will be based on Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in values, including respect for people, culture, and traditional territory.
- Programs and projects undertaken by the Community Development Corporation will have benefits for the citizens of Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in, and will be designed to meet the specific needs and aspirations of citizen. Benefits for citizens can include training, capacity building, employment, business development and/or support, entrepreneurship support, community projects, or wealth creation.
- The Community Development Corporation may have subsidiary incorporated businesses in order to take advantage of business opportunities presented to Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in.
- The Community Development Corporation can hold title to land and assets.
We expect the Community Development Corporation to begin operations in summer 2020. Stay tuned for updates! For more information, email our Development Partnership Manager
Chief Isaac Group of Companies
The Chief Isaac Group of Companies was established in 1984 to own and operate the business interests of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in (translated as ‘people of the river’), a self-governing Yukon First Nation serving the Han people located in Dawson City.
In 2009, the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Trust was established as the sole shareholder of the Chief Isaac Group of Companies acting on behalf of the Trust’s beneficiaries – the citizens of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in. For more information about The Chief Isaac Group of Companies, visit their website.
Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in maintains a list of citizen owned/operated businesses and makes this list available to companies doing business on Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory. To have your business added to this list, or to find our about possible opportunities, please call Shari Borgford, Development Partnership Manager, at (867) 993-7100 ext. 219 or send an email.